139. What is the first effect of the Lord’s return?
Those who belong to Christ will be raised or transformed at His return. Our body will then be like His transfigured body: an incorruptible, powerful, glorious body.
He is the conclusion of our salvation and the visible evidence to all that grace has completed its work of sanctification and that we are truly sons and daughters of God.
Those who have already fallen asleep in Christ will be present at the first resurrection.
The believers living on Earth at Jesus’ return will be transformed and transfigured.
- For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. (1 Corinthians 15:22-23)
- Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed – in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (1 Corinthians 15:51-52)
- Who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. (Philippians 3:21)
- The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. It is sown in dishonour, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. (1 Corinthians 15:42-43)
- Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. (Revelation 20:6)