36. What is the purpose of the divine law?
The Ten Commandments are:
- the unshakable foundation of the divine rule of the world showing us God’s will. They are the moral law for humanity for all time.
- a mirror for all man that shows their sinfulness.
- By the law is the knowledge of sin. (Romans 3:20)
- a strict tutor to the unconverted.
- Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. (Galatians 3:24)
- a rule and guideline for converted man to live a life that is pleasing to God.
- Love is the fulfilment of the law. (Romans 13:10)