81. How did Jesus fare in His ministry among the people of Israel?
He was met with resistance everywhere: the proud leaders of the people met Him with envy and hatred. The doubting (in faith) people grieved Him by their ingratitude and unbelief. Even His disciples caused Him pain through ignorance, lack of faith, unfaithfulness and betrayal.
- Pilate knew that they had handed Him over because of envy. (Matthew 27:18)
- Jesus began to rebuke the cities in which most of His mighty works had been done, because they did not repent. (Matthew 11:20)
- Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? (Matthew 17:17)
- Jesus said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” (Matthew 8:26)
- Jesus said, “Are you also still without understanding?” (Matthew 15:16)
- Peter’s denial (Matthew 26:69-75)
- Judas’ betrayal (Matthew 26:14-16; Luke 22:48)