87. How do Jesus’ death and suffering benefit me?
According to God’s ordinance, the death of Jesus Christ is the perfect sacrifice for my sins and gives me:
- forgiveness and reconciliation with God;
- redemption from the power of the devil and the power of sin;
- deliverance from damnation; and
- the freedom to be a child of God.
- Knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world. (1 Peter 1:18-20)
- For you were bought at a price. (1 Corinthians 6:20)
- God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them. (2 Corinthians 5:19)