86. What does the Scripture say about Jesus’ sufferings and death?
The prophets, apostles, and the Lord Himself testify that the suffering and death of the Son of God were in our place. He, the only pure and holy One, took our place on the cross. The guilt of all humanity’s sin was laid on Him and He took our punishment for our sins – He suffered death for everyone. This is how He became the mediator between God and us sinners.
- Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed. (Isaiah 53:4-5)
- Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us, for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree.” (Galatians 3:13)
- I lay down My life for the sheep. (John 10:15)
- Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)