156. Can we distinguish the true members of the body of Christ from those merely named Christians?
No, because only Christ, the divine judge, can and will pass the final judgment on us humans. That is why we should not judge one another. However, anyone who teaches or walks unbiblically and does not improve despite brotherly correction does not belong in the church of Christ.
- The servants said to him, “Do you want us then to go and gather them up?” But he said, “No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers: ‘First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.’” (Matthew 13:28-30)
- Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God. (1 Corinthians 4:5)
- But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly. (2 Thessalonians 3:6)
- Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition. (Titus 3:10)