39. What does God require in the first commandment?
- fear and honour God above all things;
- love Him with all our heart and trust Him alone;
- humble ourselves before Him and expect or wait on Him alone for goodness;
- avoid and flee from all idolatry, sorcery, divination and superstition.
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. (Psalm 111:10)
- You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. (Deuteronomy 6:5)
- Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. (Psalm 73:25)
- Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.” (Matthew 4:10)
- Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. (Matthew 10:28)
- There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. (Deuteronomy 18:10-11)
- Today this includes reading tarot-cards, fortune telling, reading hand-lines, horoscopes, spiritualism, amulets, casting spells, using a pendulum for occult activity, paying attention to “special” days (e.g. Friday the 13th), unlucky numbers, heavenly letters and chain letters, superstitions associated with certain bird calls or the pouring of lead on New Year’s Eve, dream books and magic books such as the 6th and 7th books of Moses. These practices go against God’s commandment! “For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD.” (Deuteronomy 18:12)