49. How do we serve God on “His day” so that it pleases Him and is a blessing for us?
We sanctify the holiday by reading and teaching God’s Word, worshipping the Lord with the Christian community, listening to the sermon, celebrating the Lord’s Supper and supporting and promoting God’s Kingdom in every way we can and according to our abilities and gifts (offering).
- Jesus came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. (Luke 4:16)
- Let us not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- LORD, I have loved the habitation of Your house, and the place where Your glory dwells. (Psalm 26:8)
- Blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it! (Luke 11:28)
- And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. (Acts 2:42)
- On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come. (1 Corinthians 16:2) – Collections for Christians in need in Jerusalem.
- Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)