165. Which place must the Word of God have in our church?
The word of God must be proclaimed incessantly in the church to awake sinners, for the conversion and rebirth of the penitent, for the strengthening and support of the church in sanctification and for the comfort of all who suffer.
- You having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever. Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you. (1 Peter 1:23,25)
- So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17)
- Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. (Matthew 4:4)
- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another. (Colossians 3:16)