166. To whom has the Lord entrusted the preaching of God’s Word in the church?
First Jesus Christ gave His chosen apostles the task: “Preach the gospel to every creature!” Since then, this commission has been valid for everyone whom the exalted Lord calls and equips with the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.” (Mark 16:15)
- Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations. (Matthew 28:19)
- And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ. (Ephesians 4:11-12)
- Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. (1 Corinthians 4:1)
- We are ambassadors for Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:20)
- I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ has not accomplished through me. (Romans 15:18)