43. What does God command in the third commandment?
- not use His name thoughtlessly;
- neither curse in His name nor blaspheme Him;
- neither swear a false oath (perjury) in His name nor swear lightly;
- also not become guilty of hearing such sins and keeping silent about it;
- but rather use His name only with fear and reverence, always confessing, praising, and thanking Him.
- Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, “you shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.” But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your “Yes” be “Yes,” and your “No,” “No.” For whatever is more than these is from the evil one. (Matthew 5:33-37)